Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Rice pudding: the vegan version

A variation of a classic recipe

In a previous post I had shared one of my favorite rice pudding  recipes, one I always had when I was a child. Just a couple of years ago, I started making a vegan version adding a different touch to this classic recipe.

As vegan and vegetarian diets become more popular, it's only natural to create dessert recipe that appeal to the people who adopt these diets. Though it's a health choice for many, it's a necessity for some who cannot for various reasons consume dairy products and the like. As for me, I'm a happy omnivorous person! However, I do consume more fruits and vegetables than meat and dairy products.
That´s why, from time to time, I like making recipes that have no eggs, dairy or animal products. These come really handy when I am feeling lazy but craving for a balanced and healthy sweet treat.

This recipe is divided into two parts: the first one consists of preparing the sauce that accompanies the pudding whereas the second is the pudding itself.

If you go through some of the recipes I shared so far you will notice my love for summer berries. Indeed I consume a lot of berries and I just can't get enough. They are delicious fresh and they are even better when baked or cooked.
Featured in this recipe are blueberries which have a fragrant and acidic flavor that is only enhanced with the addition of sugar or a sweetening agent. I will use blueberries to make the perfect sauce for the rice pudding.

Fresh or cooked, bluberries are tasty and good for you

So let´s start first with making the sauce:

  • 60 g bluberries
  • 20 g sugar (you can add more for extra sweetness)
  • 2 tbsp orange juice
  • Half vanilla pod
  • Sprinkle of cinnamon (optional)
The blueberry sauce, bursting with flavor!


Combine the blueberries with the rest of the ingredients in a saucepan and let them slowly simmer for about 8 to 10 min until the blueberries let their juice out. Before turning off the heat you can add some more berries to the sauce for more variation in texture  but this time I didn´t do so!


As for the rice you need: (for 1 serving)
  • 50 g of jasmine rice (or you can use any other kind but of course the cooking time will be different)
  • 150 g soy milk
  • 50 ml water
  • 15 g sugar and a dash of cinnamon
Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan, let them simmer on a moderate heat first, for few min, then let the rice cook slowly for about 30 min, don´t forget to stir every 3 or 4 min.

When the rice is ready, let it cool a bit.  Unlike the traditional non-vegan recipe, I enjoy it while it´s still warm, .
Mix some of the sauce with the rice. Sprinkle some toasted flaked almonds or coconuts on top, and dig in. Of course, add some more sauce as you eat. Bon appetit.   

A light, fresh and fruity dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment