Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Cranberry Jam with Ginger and Orange



After a long break from blogging it´s time to come back to my favorite hobby. Until recently, I was still in the Christmas mood. It's hard to get over your favorite holiday and time of the year, but I was longing for the peace and relaxation I got. I guess I still wanted to relax and take things slowly. Lazy days be gone!

A while ago I bought a big bag of cranberries, and I had many ideas on how to use them, but I kept postponing all of them. Well the cranberries were not getting any fresher and the best option was to make some good jam with them. After all, nothing beats the taste of homemade jam or jelly.

The recipe is straight forward and really good. It is both tangy and sweet with the beautiful aromas of ginger and jam. The jam is perfect to smear on fresh bread, especially if it´s a sourdough bread, for breakfast or as a quick snack or dessert.


Let´s go to the recipe
The batch I made was enough to fill 3 medium sized jars. You will need:
  • 450 g fresh or frozen cranberries
  • 250 g sugar
  • 100 g orange juice 
  • 100 g water
  • 3 strips of orange peel
  • 20 g finely chopped or grated ginger

Combine all ingredients in a heavy bottom pan, mix well and let the jam cook for at least an hour on a very gentle heat.

The cranberries will burst then melt as they bubble away. After an hour, fill your sterilized jars with the hot jam and seal well. Let them cool completely before you put them in the fridge.

Now you are ready to spread this beautiful burgundy jam on your bread or brioche or to use it as a filling in cakes or cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment